Saturday, June 16, 2012

Cavalry Riders

Now some painting time will be devoted to the riders.

I often use the works of Liliane and Fred Funcken as inspiration for my own painting efforts.

1st Lancers, Polonais of the Imperial Guard

Dutch Cavalry and private, flank company, as they appeared at Waterloo




While there are many other more technically accurate or historically detailed sources, I have always enjoyed the timeless artistry of these images and, as my minis collection must also be 'table playable', I often have strayed from the historically accurate unit depictions in order to make the different units distinguishable from one another.  This is a particular challenge with Austrian units as so many of them were white with some version of yellow or tan or buff on the cuffs and collars.

What uniform research or inspiration do you use?

2 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Mollo's American War of Independence book... like Funken there's probably others more accurate, but I love the pictures...

Phil said...

Very very nice pictures!