Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Quebec 1759:
A game play sample.

So as promised earlier I have now played at least six games of Quebec, admittedly they are all vs. my son Alex (who is 8) and is really still learning the game of 'bluff'.

The game uses elements similar to all the 'block games' in production from Columbia games (though this one like Napoleon was released in the 1970's by Tom Dalgleish) like Napoleon, Sam Grant and Bobby Hill along with the WWII series of 'fronts' West, East, Med etc...

This game also includes a very 'diplomacy' element in written orders are issued for troop movements and revealed simultaneously.

I like that element as it makes for a game of bluff as well as the tactical battle, since you can choose to move only from one map position at a time...

Todays games were played out in about 35-45 minutes each. Alex got to womp me for the first time playing as he finally took control of the british forces and correctly guessed (on move 1 no less!). That game was over rather quickly as I could not seem to roll a '6' for a hit in my first 25-40 dice rolls.

The next game was a re-do for me in the French position, this time I was certain to not have the invader get in on the north shore of the St Laurence, then Alex discovered bluffing, and began to move his ships and men around to get me to move out from my defences.

It very nearly worked, only this time he guessed wrong and I was able to hold Quebec long enough to win.

Then we switched sides, this time I was again the British (we played 3 games before a few weeks ago) and I recalled the general power of these forces, managed to force the Beauport shore defences (unlike Wolfe whom was thrown off these trenches) and shoved all my troops in there. I hammered into St Charles, but since crossing the river is the same as naval landing (with lots of defencive 'pre-battle' firing) I chose to raid along the south shore and nacker the Militia troops wearing Alex's army out before finally attacking.

When the assault came the extra defensive die rolls were not so bad as Alex was down to only 3 effective units.

All in all the game is a great overview of the situation in Quebec and what the 'thinking' would have been like during those weeks of summer and fall in 1759.

It would most certainly make a good 'backdrop' control for a grand strategic game with the battles being faught out using tabletop minis. It could also be used in a 'giant' tabletop covering the north shore region and 'assuming' the south shore positions...maybe even forcing the 'british' player to have to look at the map layout from the other side of the room before deciding where to attempt landing(s).

1 comment:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Murdock,

Sounds like you and Alex had a good time. Many happy returns of the day.


-- Jeff