Monday, October 02, 2006

Creation of Cards for Auerstadt done.



In keeping with my desire to have some fog of war, but to not burden the game mechanics too much (as I like the simplicity of SHAKO), I have hit upon the use of 'cards' drawn to modify situations.

Mainly the cards allow players to re-roll so that a bad situation might be recovered...or not.



I like to have nice to look at items as well, rather than just simple text on a card.

So here are a couple of the 'global re-roll' cards, one for each side.

**********

Jeff was over on the weekend and we are still sorting out some thoughts for 'improvements' that might make Auerstadt go more smoothly...

Check out the pics from the game at his BLOG.

Cheers

3 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

The new cards look GREAT! It will be nice to see what the others look like "on the day".

Thanks for the plug to my blog . . . although your pictures look awfully nice too.


-- Jeff

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Hey, I really like the idea and "look" of your Free Roll cards! What a cool idea.

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz

MurdocK said...

Thank you Jeff and Stokes,

The first time we used it was with Napoleon's Battles, which suggested having some sort of marker or chit (Avalon Hill's fave yet another little cardboard chip to keep track of!) to note the availability of a 'free roll'. Since that game used d10's we were using extra d20's (the old ones with 2 sets of 0-9) as the 'free roll' markers. But it was yet another bunch of dice tumbling around the table. So we switched to a tally on the tracking board (a white-board). It was functional but dull.

I hit on the cards, once I noted that the stiff clear card protectors were relatively cheap and easily available.

Version 1 has d10's on the cards and simple images, I have since gotten more images and better picture control software.

I might toss on a few more of the cards in future posts.

Cheers and thanks again gents!